Project Associate Professor in English University of Tokyo, Department of English Language
Fixed-term Positions in English College of Arts and Sciences, The University of Tokyo
1. Title. Number of positions. Project Associate Professor. One or more positions.
2. Starting date 1 September 2017.
3. Term Three years, with one possible renewal for up to a maximum of six years' employment
4. Address Komaba Campus, 3-8-1 Komaba, Meguro-ku, Tokyo, Japan
5. Affiliation Centre for Global Communication Strategies (CGCS), College of Arts and Sciences, The University of Tokyo.
6. Responsibilities 1) Teaching responsibilities: Seven 105-minute classes per week, including classes for English language courses in the Junior Division of the College of Arts and Sciences (first- and second-year undergraduate students), and English language courses, content-based courses and thesis writing in the Senior Division (third- and fourth-year students). The University of Tokyo has two 13-week semesters per year. 2) Other duties relating to the operation of the Department of English Language.
7. Working hours Discretionary.
8. Holidays, paid vacations, and salary As prescribed by the University of Tokyo's regulations.
9. Social insurance, etc. Employees are enrolled in the Mutual Society of Health Insurance of the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology and in employment insurance.
10. Required qualifications 1) Native speaker of English, or with an equivalent level of proficiency. 2) Specialist in humanities or social sciences. 3) Ph.D. or equivalent academic qualification in the relevant field. 4) Previous experience of teaching English at universities preferred. 5) Ability to teach Advanced Academic Writing preferred. 6) Elementary knowledge of Japanese preferred.
11. Application documents 1) Cover letter. 2) CV. 3) List of publications (by category: books, articles, etc.). 4) Three major publications (1 copy of each; photocopies are accepted). 5) Description of the applicant’s approach to teaching of English (approx. 500 words in English on A4 or letter-size paper). 6) Contact details for two academic referees.
12. Closing date The applications should arrive by 4pm on Friday 24 March 2017.
13. Address for applications and inquiries Prof. Jun Terasawa Chair, Department of English Language College of Arts and Sciences The University of Tokyo 3-8-1 Komaba, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 153-8902 The applicants are asked to send applications by registered post and print "Application for Project Associate Professor" in red on the envelope. In order to ensure the delivery of all of the application materials, applicants are also requested to send an email to tiger[at sign]eigo.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp specifying the date when they were posted. (Replace [at sign] with @.)
14. Remarks After the screening of the application documents, short-listed applicants will be interviewed in April. This will include a ten-minute demonstration of teaching English. For applicants residing abroad, the interview will be done electronically (such as by video conference). Those residing in Japan will be asked to come to the University of Tokyo for an interview. Travel expenses must be paid by the applicant. All applicants will be notified of the results by the end of May 2017. There is a six-month probation period at the beginning of the appointment.
15. Other The applications are not returnable for any reason. Personal information received through this application process will not be used for any other purposes. The University of Tokyo is committed to gender equality in hiring.
For more information about the College and Graduate School of Arts and Sciences and the Department of English Language, please refer to the following websites:
College and Graduate School of Arts and Sciences http://www.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp/eng_site/
Department of English Language, College of Arts and Sciences http://park.itc.u-tokyo.ac.jp/eigo/index_en.html
If you apply for this position please say you saw it on Educaloxy